Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Artist and City Statement


Artist Statement

My first focus as an artist is writing.  Creating and sharing stories helps me not only interpret and process information, but allows me to share my views on ideas.  Because of this, my goal is not necessarily originality in all things, but rather being true to the characters that i have created.  In real life every person is unique and looks at the struggles they encounter differently. When writing, even if it is fiction, recreating and showing the reader how these characters process their struggles is paramount.  Without characters being true to themselves and growing in believable ways, even the greatest most original idea will sound false.
I try and apply this to my art as well.  I attempt to focus on showing emotion.  To me the most interesting aspect of the real world is how people feel and how they face their struggles.  Attempt to show this in all the different mediums i use.


City Statement

My city is based off the city Verona (no relation to the real city) in my first novel Iracundia.  The city was originally started by alchemists (who are able to bend the laws of nature) and is built on a scale that defies both sense and reality.  It rises out of a bay and dwarfs all those who live in it.  there are two super buildings within the city that are cities unto themselves.  In the center of the city lies the Grand Temple of The Church, which has been the center of both philosophical and spiritual thought for the wider world.  Opposite the Grand Temple, out in the Ocean rises the tallest grandest building int he world, The Academy.  This is where alchemists have made their home and enjoy showing their power and skill.  The history and shape of the city as a whole have been influenced by both of these institutions, and the rest of the city has been slowly trying to come up with any achievement worthy of rivaling these two buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment