Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Bio, Artist, & City Statements

***Sorry this is so late***



Bio
My name is Emily Dixon and I'm a senior at the University of Nevada, Reno. If you know one thing about me it is that I am obsessed with R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet." After graduation (May 20!!!) I'm moving to Orlando, Florida to work in the Happiest Place on Earth: Walt Disney World.
In the future I hope to be doing live sound engineering or video editing. This project was way beyond my scope of knowledge and taught me how to use 3D modeling software to create anything that my city could need. This project was also able to expand my knowledge on the game engine Unity which is something that I hope to use in the future.

Artist Statement
I'm a viola player which - by definition - means that I'm not really an artist. I'm also not a serious person. (Cue viola joke: What's the difference between a viola and an onion? No one cries when you cut up a viola. (Bu-dum-tsssss)) In any case, I just like creating. I've been fortunate enough to create music concrete, foley, live audio mixes, recorded audio mixes, mini-documentaries, short films, and so much more. Everything I've done - no matter the medium - has pop-culture references around every corner and almost all of my work since 2012 has included references to the masterpiece hip-hopera "Trapped in the Closet" by R.Kelly. This was no exception.

Description of City 
I love urban environments. I would never want to live in one, but looking at them is fascinating. (Full disclosure: my obsession may have started with R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet") I also love dystopian environments. I've always wanted to visit an abandoned amusement park/city and just see how nature has taken over. There's something so haunting about areas that used to be so heavily populated that are now deserted. At its core, my city is "I am Legend" meets "Trapped in the Closet."

No comments:

Post a Comment