Monday, April 10, 2017

Lecture Comments

I found the discussion on Machinima to be particularly interesting because the development of hardware fueled development of game art. I am fascinated by the history of computing and its relation to art. Better graphics cards and more powerful processors were the product of the gaming industry, and the gaming industry is a product of more powerful computing. These two go hand in hand, and by looking back on monumental moments in gaming history (such as the release of Wolfenstein 3D, Quake and Doom) we can develop a deeper understanding of the interplay between technology and art.

I am amazed by the Ordos Music Hall in from the Autodesk Gallery. The curvature of the architecture is particularly astounding because it seems to almost flow right before your eyes. It reminds me of the wall that Bjarke Ingels created because of the curvature and the many tiny cutouts. I would like to integrate a building like this into my city because it would fit nicely in the transitionary period into young adulthood.

When discussing Phenomenology and George Bachelard, I thought of the house that I lived in for most of my life. My parents bought this house when my mother was pregnant with me and they just sold it September this past year. I can relive several memories from it, especially from within my room. I remember when I painted two walls bright pink and got a new bedspread - my room had transformed. I remember exactly where things were, how I organized my belongings. But I also remember the room I had before that one when I shared it with my sister. I remember sleeping on the top bunk while she slept on the bottom. I remember tying Barbie dolls to strings and hanging them out the window. That house will always hold a special place in my heart, not because of its structure or how it looked (especially since my parents decided to paint it eggplant purple), but because of the many nostalgic moments when I think about it.

Please see my previous post for pictures and drawings of my city. 

1 comment: