Monday, April 3, 2017

Lecture comments

I personally found today's lecture to be rather interesting. George Bachelard's book The Poetics of Space really made me reflect on all of the happy childhood memories I have of getting into various stages of trouble in regards to my home/neighborhood. In regards to the game art, id Software's DOOM, happens to be a personal favorite game of mine, and it is responsible for launching the career of one of my favorite game developers, Gabe Newell. He became a game developer after running the statistics and finding out DOOM was installed on more computers than Windows 98 at the time. As a result of this astounding discovery he made, we now have access to the single greatest game marketing platform ever known: Steam. The only critique I have of today's lecture lies in the architecture of Estonian Academy of Art gallery. I'm not an overly extravagant designer, I prefer function over fashion in nearly 90% of my choices. I find their designs to be both impractical and far too whimsical for my tastes.

On a side note, I find that the requirement of extravagant or wacky architecture to be counterproductive to the nature of the class. Each city designed by the students represents who we are, and if it isn't crazy enough for your tastes then that is unfortunate. Art is subjective, and only the creator is permitted to dictate how their work will turn out. So in short, let my city flourish as I dictate, for I am its creator and master, and none shall tell me how to lay out my town.

No comments:

Post a Comment