Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Lecture Comments


Phenomenology:

After reviewing George Bataille’s Poetics of Space, I began thinking about my house in my home town of Mammoth Lakes. While much of my memories are gone from that time, I still remember some of my memories of my time spent in my yard. I remember how we had an old pine tree stump in our yard which I unoriginally named “My Stump” and how I would go sledding off it like a jump during the winter. I also remember the three-story tree house my dad made for me that I would jump off during the winter and the bike courses I made during the summers. I find it interesting how remembering your first home can bring back such memories which you might not think about otherwise and how this ability to remember is associated with and individual structure.



Game Art:

Before this lecture, I had heard, but not known what the term machinima meant. I found it interesting in how it relates to the world of gaming and was intrigued by the video of Doom. I have heard of Doom before this class, but never paid it much attention. It is fascinating to think that that game was once considered to be an example of great graphics at the time, but is now nothing compared to the games now days.  



Atlas Obscura:




After searching briefly through the Atlas Obscura site, I read the article on the Project HARP Space Gun. Project HARP was an attempt to make a gun that could deliver objects like satellites into space and was a joint effort between the United States and Canada. I found it interesting because I have always liked the idea of the use of mass drivers in science fiction. A mass driver is a magnetic accelerator that is often used to fire objects like trash or vehicles into space. The HARP is similar in nature, it just uses different principles to work. Overall I found the site interesting and liked how it has different stories on subjects not normally talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment