Saturday, April 8, 2017

Lecture Comments/Architecture Blog/Memories

Lecture Comments:
    Personally, I have always phenomenology to be an interesting idea, and one that makes a lot of sense. We associate memories with so many things, why not places? Places we grew up or places we’ve visited, each can elicit a response from just thinking about it. And, in my own experience, seeing old pictures can also help bring back specific memories with even more strength too. It’s interesting to me especially because I have some very vivid memories of certain things as a child that are sort of random but other things allude me-at least sometimes until I see a picture. I’ve heard that we never really forget anything, that’s it’s just somewhere we can’t recall at the moment, and it’s things like that that make me believe it a little more. 
(Apologies for this being late, I had assumed it was due before the next Monday, like normal. My bad.)

Architecture:
This is a house that's designed to be a space incorporating the outdoors, especially during the day. The first floor is entirely integrated with it while the upstairs is more for night and acts as a place for a reprieve from things like cold that would keep you form going outside. That said, it still clearly works with the outdoors too. Overall I just think such a connected living space is really interesting and wish it was more common.

Memories:
    Most of my younger memories come from the house I lived in in Vegas before my family briefly moved to Florida. Like I mentioned in class, my parents let me and my brother have some freedom with our rooms. My carpet was red, and so was the inside of my closet. Our backyard was huge (though then again I wonder how much the size might be exaggerated as I was a young kid) with a pool on the right side and a lawn with a hill at the end on the left. I remember trying to learn how to ride a bike (trying being the operative word) on the patio in the back and my convincing my brother and I to do that polar bear challenge thing (going in the pool when it's cold out, really a questionable idea looking back on it considering how young we were). I also remember, very specifically, that it happened to snow twice the winter before we moved to Florida, and I don't recall it having snowed before that.I have fond memories of that house and all that went with it, including too many to write about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment