Saturday, April 8, 2017

Lecture Comments

I don't have many vivid experiences with memories evoked from a building.  Probably because I have lived most of the last 20 years in the same house (the exception being a very dreadful two year stay in Texas during my early 20's). Even when I pass my old school buildings, or a place that I used to play or hang-out at, it is never the architecture itself that evokes memories.

While continuing to think of new ideas for my city, One of the big things has not only been the scope and scale of the city, but its texture.  I envision it clean and smooth, as if order had been given physical shape.  But As I thought over the lecture, that is only part of what exists in real cities.  Cities not only have size, shape and texture, but smell, sound and taste.  And usually it is smell that gives me the most vivid recollections.  The most powerful is the smells of spring.  Just the new flowers blooming and the fresh gentle rains that release the very essence of the earth almost.  It brings me back to when I was little and running around playing with pure imagination, without all of the cares and troubles and worries of the world.

I think this may be one reason I have tried so hard to make my city in both virtual space and on the board to be grand and look amazing, is to compensate for the lack of the other senses.  A city is not just how it looks, it is a collection of all our perceptions, plus how we interpret those perceptions.  And Those thoughts could change or grow or decrease over time.  I certainly don't look at the world with the same amount of wonder as i did when little, which I am starting to believe is a shame and the wrong way to look at things.  But that is enough soap box for the moment :D

No comments:

Post a Comment